Saturday 15 June 2013

1000 Years of Traditional Crafts

This weekend 22nd and 23rd June I will be taking part in 1000 Years of Traditional Crafts at Lincoln Castle. This will be the third year I have been there and it has always been a great event to be part of not only because of the lovely setting in the Castle, but also due to the numbers of visitors who are genuinely interested in the work that we do.

The ground will be filled with crafts people demonstrating skills that originated many years ago such as blacksmithing, willow weaving, glass work and silversmithing. Some of these crafts use the very same techniques that they always have - as my grandad would say 'if ain't broke why fix it' - whilst others have been brought bang up to date to enable the creation of some unique and highly skilled pieces that will be on show.

Although I am unable to take my trusty kiln with me to these events (a bit too heavy!) I will be on hand in the large marquee on the lawn to explain in more detail about the work that I make using recycled glass. I will be revealing my processes from beginning to end and have a large range of pieces that can be purchased from my stall. Some of my pieces have been made specially for this venue and include my designs of local landmarks. I often get asked about how I put the detail in the glass and have on more than one occasion been asked by children if there are real butterflies inside! This is great as it gives me the opportunity to show why I love what I do and introduce people to the art of kiln formed glass.


There will also be a children's marquee with a a range of activities for them to try and the opportunity for adults to have a go at one of the short courses that will be taking part in the Heritage Skills Centre.
As if that weren't enough to entertain everyone the European Stone Festival will be taking place over the same weekend at the Cathedral with stone masons from across the continent showing off their skills. My only regret is that as I will be on my stall I won't be able to see everything else that is going on!


This promises to be another great event, both educational and fun, and the friendly staff at the Castle are always helpful and informative in their efforts to improve it year on year. Even if the weather isn't good most of the stalls are under cover in the marquees so everyone can take their time looking around. Of course if the sunshine does make an appearance it will make it even better so here's hoping!




.

No comments:

Post a Comment